Chef Marcus Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chef Marcus Cooked up a delicious bowl of chicken tortilla soup on Good Things Utah. This is a featured entree on Summit Vista’s fall menu and a resident favorite.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 small ears corn, shucked or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 ½ cups)
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced 1 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ cups red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups diced roasted green chilies
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Your favorite hot sauce to taste (I like Cholula)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Use shredded Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips or chips for serving
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 450 degrees. In a small bowl whisk together 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp sugar.
- Brush chicken with 1 Tbsp olive oil then season both sides with chili powder mixture.
- Grill about 5 – 6 minutes per side until thickest part of chicken registers 165 degrees. Let rest on cutting board 5 minutes then dice into small cubes.
- If using fresh corn cobs, grill shucked corn on medium-high heat, turning every 3 minutes, until slightly charred, about 9 minutes total. Cut corn kernels from cobs.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and red bell peppers and sauté 5 minutes then jalapenos, green chilies, and garlic and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, remaining 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, granulated garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add Worcestershire and hot sauce.
- Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, if using frozen corn add during the last 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and corn to soup along with cilantro and lime juice. Add diced avocados to each serving as well as cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
Contact us to attend an upcoming community preview event where you can take a tour and have a gourmet lunch.