Cooking with Cordova on Fresh Living
Did you catch Marcus Cordova on Fresh Living? Try his favorite tomato basil pasta recipe at home and let us know what you think!
Chef’s Favorite Tomato Basil Pasta
This Tomato Basil Pasta is great for busy weeknights. Once the pasta is cooked, dinner is DONE! 15 minutes is all that you need, folks. The great part about this dish is that is flexible and full of options to use what you have on hand; fresh spinach, sautéed mushrooms, red bell peppers or canned artichoke hearts, even frozen vegetables. You can add some white beans and turn this into a great vegetarian dish. You can also add any protein that you like, grilled shrimp, chicken or steak!
- 1 pound pasta, whatever you have on hand
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus 2 tbsp for the pasta water
- ¼ cup olive oil or butter
- 6 cloves fresh garlic (thinly sliced)
- 4 pints fresh cherry tomatoes or 2-14 oz cans San Marzano Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade, plus extra for serving
- Freshly grated parmesan (for serving)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a hot sauté pan add olive oil or butter and sliced garlic on medium-high heat. Slightly caramelize the garlic then tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until tomatoes burst and release their juices to form a sauce, 6–8 minutes. Add fresh basil.
- Toss pasta with tomato sauce and basil.
- Top with parmesan and garnish with fresh basil leaves.