The Cook’s Nook With David Polakoff
CHILLED CUCUMBER SOUP (aka Cucumber Gazpacho)
Gazpacho has long been a summertime favorite for those who enjoy a chilled soup on a hot day. So, if you’re a fan of the traditional gazpacho made with juicy, ripe tomatoes, chances are you’ll love this silky smooth variation made with cool cucumbers, yogurt, and just the right blend of herbs. The best part is it’s easy to prepare and can be paired with a variety of garnish options. Give it a try and be sure to let me know what you think.
1/3 of a jalapeño, sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon shallot, plus more for garnish
1 clove garlic
1 large cucumber (12 ounces), sliced
1/4 – 1/2 cup cilantro (or substitute fresh dill, Italian parsley, or basil)
1 – 2 tablespoons lime juice
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Poached shrimp drizzled with lime, olive oil, and salt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, finely diced or thinly sliced
- 2 scallions (or chives), thinly sliced
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Lime zest
- In a blender or food processor, blend all 12 ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, spice level, and acid to your liking. Once complete, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare as many garnishes as you wish to include.
- For added taste and presentation, mix 3 tbs sour cream, thinned with 1 tbs water in a separate bowl until drizzle consistency.
- Add directly to individual soup bowl in a swirl pattern
Ultimately, the goal of any Life Plan Community is to provide you or your loved one with the best opportunities to live well today and tomorrow. Our goal is to provide a living experience that will help you maximize every moment and achieve a happy, healthy retirement that’s free of concern. For more information about the benefits of moving into a Life Plan Community, speak with your retirement counselor, or call (801) 758-3138 today.